I'm 32, I'm a librarian, and I only have a second.

18.7.05

Getting a Job: Is There a Motherhood Penalty?

Bloglines user whitneydt (wdavison-turley@kumc.edu) has sent this item to you, with the following personal message:

Oh, my -- the blood boils just reading the headline and synopsis. Forwarded from ResourceShelf via Bloglines.


ResourceShelf's DocuTicker
Docuticker is a daily update of new reports from government agencies, ngo's, think tanks, and other groups. DocuTicker is compiled by the librarians who bring you ResourceShelf.com.

Getting a Job: Is There a Motherhood Penalty?

By Shirl

Mothers--Employment Descrimination
Source: Cornell University, Department of Sociology (Shelley J. Correll, Stephan Bernard)
Getting a Job: Is There a Motherhood Penalty? (PDF; 149 KB)
"Relative to other kinds of applicants, mothers were rated as less competent, less committed, less suitable for hire, promotion, and management training, and deserving of lower salaries. Mothers were also held to higher performance and punctuality standards. Men were not penalized for being a parent, and in fact, appeared to benefit from having children on some measures. We discuss the implications of these findings for the theory presented and for enduring patterns of gender inequality in paid work."


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have seen this first-hand. My boss told me that he wouldn't give me a raise because I wasn't the "primary breadwinner!"