I'm 32, I'm a librarian, and I only have a second.

21.9.05

Feel the Love

I've been at the MCMLA Annual Meeting in Salt Lake City, and it was a really excellent time. The meeting had everything: beautiful location, wonderful people, and great conversations.

I can extensively trash talk MLA, but the chapter is a wonderful thing, and I understand that without the umbrella organization, the chapters would not be as vital as they are. So, MLA, thanks for this one amazingly wonderful thing.

What makes MCMLA a special event is not the location and not the speakers, but the participants themselves. This group includes major academic medical library directors, hospital librarians in blazers and sensible shoes, movin' and shakin' outreach librarians, library science students, and every other stripe and type of librarian you might hope to find.

The tie that binds them together is a committment to library services and a forward-facing optimism that medical librarians are and will continue to be important as long as we work hard and stay relevant. I'm often a hard, hard cynic, and it is refreshing to drink of this optimism for a few days.

WDT

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I missed the MCMLA meeting this year for the first time since 1987. Even though I haven't lived in the geographic region since 1995, I've always gone back for the meeting simply because MCMLA includes some of the most wonderful librarians and excellent people that it's ever been my honor to spend time with.