I'm 32, I'm a librarian, and I only have a second.

18.11.05

LiveBlogging, Lame-o Style

Cool people blog live from conferences like Internet Librarian; here's my live blog from room 1040 Dykes Library, viewing the College of DuPage webcast happening right now.

First, I have to say that BCR gets major kudos for making these teleconferences available via the web for their members. Our cost for hosting this interesting event: absolutely nothing. There are four of us sacked out in our little cozy nook, getting updated and continuing education the easy way. If you don't usually make the time for the DuPage bradcasts, this is a great way to go about it.

Second, the quality is greatly improved this year over last, although that may be just because it is the Stephen Bell show this time and not a panel.

Finally, these shows are often aimed at the lowest common denominator and sometimes I come away saying, golly, I didn't get anything new out of that. Today's show is a nice mix of the basic and not-so-basic, and I've gotten a lot of good things for the module of my information resouces class that will be focusing on Google and web searching.

The next show isn't until February 3, but it looks like a showstopper ("three ways the library profession is broken and four ways to fix it"). If you're in BCR territory, register now with them; anyone else, you can pay up at the DuPage site.

WDT

No comments: