I'm 32, I'm a librarian, and I only have a second.

24.3.06

It's Raining Thesauri, Hallelujah!

(Today's title with apologies to The Weather Girls. Also, try not to think about thousands of copies of the LCSH falling from the sky.)

All of a sudden, I am dealing with not one, not two, but three major classification/indexing/thesaurus questions.

The first is a revival of a project that has been dead for almost a year, as the SOM is finally ready to start indexing their materials for the new curriculum. I'm putting the final polish on what I suppose you could consider a baby thesaurus based on the USMLE subcategories. The next step is getting enough stuff actually indexed to determine if it works or not.

The second is a project with the hospital to write a thesaurus to form the backend of their content management system for their website. I'm having quite the time wrapping my mind around this, but I am learning a LOT. This project absolutely feel out of the sky and into my lap, and I am so thankful. Oh, yes, Lord, let me read ANSI/NISO standards on thesaurus development. That's the KIND OF NERD I AM. I'm also enthused about this because I'm hoping to port it out to another project that needs a consumer health information thesaurus (shh!).

The third item is in the same vein although of a different type, as I am perplexed about the proposed changes to MEDLINE subheadings. On first blush, I would have to say I agree that 83 subheadings is too many. However, I am tending to agree with real reference librarians like Cindy Schmidt that the choices made for removal are not necessarily obvious or useful.

What I want to see, and what I have requested from NLM, is data supporting their proposal. I'm sure they've looked at the same questions I've been looking at: how much is enough? What kind of search is happening, and how can we best facilitate that? I'm hoping to get some good, solid answers to these questions, as I certainly hope the decision process was not, well, we need to get rid of some subheadings and these seem the most likely candidates. Some hard data will go a long way towards informing my decision.

So, it really is raining thesauri, and my nerdy, nerdy soul is all set to get soaking wet!

No comments: