I'm 32, I'm a librarian, and I only have a second.

14.3.06

Learning a New Language

I've always had an interest in programming. When I was with the RML, I started learning PHP as part of my job duties and found it fascinating, but I didn't get very far as it required time and quiet--both practically nonexistant when working with the RML.

However, I'm thinking again about the benefits of knowing a language, probably because I really am tipping over into insanity. I personally would like to do some of my own mucking in our DSpace instance, although this will be mostly handled by our Internet Development department, so Java seems a good answer. XML and XSL are everywhere these days, so that seems to be a good possibility, too. PHP and MySQL seem so darn handy, and they pretty much run the web these days, so that's always a good option.

The key to learning a language is then regularly using it so you don't forget it. Which would I be most likely to use? Probably XML because it's an area of lack in our otherwise fantastic Internet Development department. I got a great suggestion for Visual Basic as well, and that seems like a great idea for a manager but maybe less useful for a repo rat.

Part of me also says, you know, this really isn't necessary and I could focus on more concrete things. Is this a "moneymaker"? Or a distraction from things I don't want to do?

4 comments:

ic-tim said...

I go through this dilemma a couple of times a year ... I want to learn a language (programming or otherwise) ... I can think a million things I could do with the language ... I just never seem to be able to put in the time ... if you can find a good work reason, at least you'll be forced to spend the time ... unless your job changes ... then, all bets are off.

Of course, if it becomes a work thing, the romance may be gone ...

Anonymous said...

go get a book on PHP, you slacker.

whitneydt said...

Mikey, without your slack-fu to inspire me, I fear the cause may be hopeless--

Anonymous said...

let me put this into slack-fu for you then... PHP lets you stop doing mundane tasks and focus on those power naps under your desk, coming in late and leaving early.

It enabled me to get out of the RML a full 2 years early, and i was only working at half capacity :)