I'm 32, I'm a librarian, and I only have a second.

21.3.06

The Library of Babel

I'm awash in thoughts of indexing, and searching, and finding today. In a very-random-Vannevar-Bush-kind-of-way I came across a reference to The Library of Babel, and in a very Google-uber-alles-kind-of-way I followed the first link to the first reference to discover the tale.

I have a sneaking suspicion that in an alternate universe, I teach cataloging. I use this story to illustrate a number of my points about the organization of information. The students give me bad reviews because I don't talk enough about authority control.

"We also know of another superstition of that time: that of the Man of the Book. On some shelf in some hexagon (men reasoned) there must exist a book which is the formula and perfect compendium of all the rest: some librarian has gone through it and he is analogous to a god."

No comments: