I'm 32, I'm a librarian, and I only have a second.

10.1.06

Ring-a-ring o' EBooks

Trixie LOVES "Ring-a-ring of roses", and for some reason the froufrala we are having about ebooks right now makes me think of the rhyme. Perhaps it's because we're all holding hands, running around and around in circles, and we occasionally all fall down. It's not as much fun doing it metaphorically at work as it is doing it in real life with my beautiful girl, though.

Here's the deal: the School of Medicine wants ebooks for their new curriculum. Fantastic! The library is helping them select useful materials. Fantastic! Many of the faculty love AccessMedicine, which I shepharded through as a purchase last year for another purpose but which is proving quite popular. Excellente!

Then, why do we all keep "falling down"? It's a combination of communication problems, varying definitions of what an ebook is or can be, and a total lack of understanding of the how the process of collecting and aquiring of library materials works. These people have no idea that we're extensively experienced in looking at a resouce and dtermining the quality of both the information and the interface, and so we are having to constantly reinterject ourselves into probelm conversations where WE ALREADY KNOW THE ANSWERS, if someone would just bother to ask us.

Many people have decried the fact that librarianship has a serious Rodney Dangerfield aspect--"we just can't get no respect." I don't have any new insight into the phenomenon, I can just say that it's darned annoying to see it in action.

WDT

No comments: