I'm 32, I'm a librarian, and I only have a second.

27.5.05

Project planning and management

Along with my grandiose dreams of unified search for curriculum content, I also long for a personal information management system that meets my exacting standards. I'm looking for something that works both at my desk and on the road (i.e., via PDA) and that will index all of my personal content: documents, emails, meeting minutes (technically covered under documents, I know), etc., etc.

I've been looking at the Google Desktop appliance as it does almost what I want it to, with two exceptions. First, it's not mobile (unless I finally get that tablet I've been promised). Second, and I know this is a psycho-librarian-pickypants thing, but I want this fictional tool to create a browsable index of my documents by tag as well as being able to search.

Basically, I want some combo of Furl and the Google Desktop search.

Back in the day, I was a devoted Franklin Planner user; I hole-punched meeting minutes, indexed all my content each month, and so on. Wanting to recreate this feeling of control, I tried to get back into the Franklin groove recently, but I'm too married to electronic data entry. Their handheld product doesn't do much more as a calendar and notes feature than that which is included with any PDA, so you're paying a lot of extra money for the personal motivation part of the software. Not good.

Anyway, if you have thoughts on this subject or tools you would like to recommend, add a comment or send me an email. I'm dying to find something that works.

No comments: