I'm 32, I'm a librarian, and I only have a second.

31.5.05

Wiki as Management Tool

Thanks to the Free Range Librarian for the idea of using a wiki as a project management space. She's using it for her creative writing projects, but there's really not a lot of difference in managing writing projects and managing any other kind of project, is there? It's all content and deadlines.

It meets a lot of my needs: available anywhere, including from my wireless-enabled PDA; easily available to others; I can include meeting minutes, notes, and files; it's indexable with titles and tags; and I should be able to add the site to my search file search them with Google Desktop if I want to do so. We'll see how it works.

My main concern is that it's publicly available, so I'll have to keep an eye on what I'm putting out there. I personally believe that information wants to be free and so am tempted to do a total download to the space, but I have to remember that in some cases (especially with the School of Medicine projects), I am working with other people's intellectual property and they may not have such liberal ideas.

Oh, would you like to see the madness unfold? Send me comments if you have thoughts.

No comments: