I'm 32, I'm a librarian, and I only have a second.

7.6.05

Patience is a virtue

I'm having a little trouble being patient these days. This has never been one of my strong suits, and I am finding myself especially taxed now. Everything seems to be at a dead stop or else in some kind of waiting-mode neverland.

One of the main issues that I am banging my head against is my dream of one-box, cross-curricular searching. The easiest thing to do is to index items on upload (into the testing system, into the content management system, etc.), but this requires substantial effort on the part of faculty, even to just add one or two keys, and I understand why they don't want to do it.

I've been kicking this problem around and have recently thought that maybe I am going about it in the wrong way: as I have mentioned before, "quality cataloging makes up for bad search capabilities, but good search [almost] makes up for little or no cataloging." Maybe one way to move out of this impass is to work on the other side--improving search instead of continuing to insist on indexing.

Also, as an update: Blackboard wanted an insane amount of $$ to implement their content management system, so we're looking at other options.

Also II: The toric lenses work great and did not in fact fry my brain.

No comments: