I'm 32, I'm a librarian, and I only have a second.

3.6.05

Top Five Things to Do With Faculty [Revised]

I'm sure this sounds like some kind of gag post (e.g., "#1: Put them in the trash"), but it's not. We've got a nascent faculty liaison program here, and this is what I've been doing. We'll see how it all works out.

1. Ask them to let you teach a separate information resources class.
2. Find a grant project appropriate to their area and ask them to help you with it.
3. Ask them to write information resources into their own grants.
4. Ask them for money. Nothing says "love" like a dedicated budget stream.
5. Most important: listen to them, what they do, what they know. If someone is faculty in an area, they're an expert in SOMETHING. Explore their expertise. It's fascinating.

I am fortunate to be assigned to these people. They're a really terrific group.

No comments: