I'm 32, I'm a librarian, and I only have a second.

26.10.05

Ongoing Quest for True Personal Information Management

One potential HUGE perk of the tablet: it came with access to GoBinder, which seems on the surface to do a lot of the things I want my personal information management product to do. It's a matter of finding the time to really get it working, but it appears I actually could have tasks, notes, project plans, documents, etc., etc., all in one place and all searchable. Hmm. My counterpart here is more interested in OneNote because it has better audio and video integration, but I haven't had a chance to look at it yet. I need more darned time!

Guilt item: what do I do with my recent $70 purchase of Franklin swag if I really get into GoBinder? Put 11 months of planner out on EBay?

Also, I have no idea where I stumbled across the reference, but for time management/personal planning/"life hacks," I am completely onboard with the 43 Folders folk. In my original perusal of their content, I really liked Patching Your Personal Suck.

The best part: "You can’t just turn it on and instantly be the thing you wish you were. It takes reflection, thought, iteration, and a personal commitment to facing the stuff at which you suck. And we all suck at something. You totally suck at something, and it secretly drives you nuts every goddamned day."

There's a lot of stuff I suck at, but one of the worst is that I put off doing things that I somehow feel pressured into doing; not stuff that I don't want to do, because there's a lot of that, and I generally just deal and get it done. But, if there's a project or a task that I feel I've been somehow coerced or cornered into, I will delay and delay and delay.

Somewhere else on 43 Folders they talked about dealing with the anxieties that keep you from getting stuff done, and I guess the anxiety here would be "dealing directly with the person who annoyed me by dumping crap on me instead of being a passive-aggressive procrastinator."

Now, THAT'S a task worthy of the GoBinder task list.

WDT

No comments: