I'm 32, I'm a librarian, and I only have a second.

7.10.05

Tablet. Woah.

I've been given a tablet PC as part of my work for the Office of Medical Education. Bob and I have been harping about how the machines are too big for practical, long-term, one-arm use, but now that I have one in my hands... I can see a lot of potential. The main issue is that they ARE too heavy with the addon battery and regular battery life alone is only abou tthree hours.

I'm going to try to use it as my main machine for a while and see what I can see with it.

Oh, ya, it's a HP Compaq tc4200.

WDT

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would be very interested in hearing your thoughts about the Tablet PC. I recently blogged about how my hospital is looking into those in lieu of PDAs.

A first hand account of how from a librarian's perspective of how they work and what types of software are available would be interesting.

For example:
Are there software programs like (ePocrates, 5 Min. Clin. Consult, etc) available for Tablet PC? And are they necessary for the Tablet PC or they more appropriate for PDAs.

How is the pc as a whole, (battery life, handwriting recognition, weight, etc.) and do you think it would work in lieu of PDAs?

Sadie said...

I'm interested also in your experience with the tablet PCs. I'm in a public library and we're thinking of ways to get away from the traditional reference desk and out amongst the people more. We'd like the ability to use the catalog, place requests, Internet, basically full service, wherever we go.

My dream is a Segway with a PC/tablet PC/PDA (something), so we can be _really_ mobile librarians. Alas, I think the Segway may be asking a bit much. :)