I'm 32, I'm a librarian, and I only have a second.

25.10.05

A Quick Tablet Update

Good things:
1. Very high coolness factor
2. Note taking is easier than I thought it would be
3. Darn speedy machine, with darn speedy wireless
4. If left on chair, makes an excellent seat warmer in cool weather

Not-so-good things:
1. Too heavy with additional battery (regular battery life seems to be about 5 hours)
2. Lopsided with additional battery
3. Tablet-specific features are not intuitive and I just don't have the time right now to explore things in depth

To make it my main machine, I need a port replicator which is not forthcoming from any budget stream I can see. This makes it difficult to really be at one with my tablet.

I like the concept of the tablet, but what I want is all of the same functionality in a package the size of a paperback. That would be TRUE portability; get a port replicator and even something tiny could be a main machine.

I can say that a tablet with ubiquitous wireless access eliminates any need for a PDA. I'm willing to lug the extra weight to get full PC functionality.

WDT

1 comment:

Rob Bushway said...

checkout the Motion Computing LS800

http://www.motioncomputing.com