I'm 32, I'm a librarian, and I only have a second.

8.8.05

Absolute Overload

The problem with vacations is that you must always at some point come back; even if you are somehow permanently on vacation, at some point it ceases to be a "vacation" and starts being your "life."

It's been a beautiful five weeks for me. Even coming in on a few Mondays and Tuesdays, it essentially feels like I've been out of here since July 1. The time spent in Tiny Tot Gymnastics, looking at the "twucks" at 135th and Metcalf, and the trips to the pool have just been magical. Trixie's past that baby stage and well into toddlerdom, and more than a few people have said to me, "Oh, that's too bad--don't you just want them to stay babies forever?"

I loved Trix at three months, and six months, and nine months, but now she sees so much more, understands so much more, and really "gets it." Watching the light come on for her has been a privilege. Of course I want/wanted her to stay a baby forever; I want her to stay exactly the way she is each and every day, and at the same time, I can't wait to see the woman she grows into.

I can't stop time, though, and so it seems to me to be better to conjugate my feelings and say, I loved her yesterday, I love her today, and I will love her tomorrow.

I've got a lot of libraryland thoughts stored up, and some updates on previous posts, so there should be a lot of content through August.

WDT

No comments: