I'm 32, I'm a librarian, and I only have a second.

6.2.06

Go Give Yourself a Hug. Right Now.

I have about 50 "deep thoughts" floating around, but none of them are ready for prime time, so today's a day for a fluffy post:

Take a moment, and think about something you really want to do, but for some reason feel you "can't". What is it? Do you want to go outside? Do you want to just read the comics and your friends in your feed aggregator but feel compelled to review the "real" content, too? Do you want to bend a rule to help a patron instead of making him or her jump through another hoop? Do you want to have lunch with someone you adore and whom you do not see nearly enough?

What we're looking for is one little gift that you can give yourself right now. Don't wait. Just do it. Don't feel guilty about it. I personally give you permission to do this one thing and to enjoy doing it.

I've talked with a lot of librarians, and many of us are very other-oriented. We are in a service industry, you know, so that's not surprising. What I want is for you to think about YOU, and give yourself a little gift--a hug, as it were.

Frankly, I've done all five of the above today and these small things have helped me tackle several other incredibly unpleasant tasks with more grace than usual (meaning some instead of none). By giving to myself, I've got just a little more to give to others.

Best wishes,

WDT

No comments: