I'm 32, I'm a librarian, and I only have a second.

8.2.06

Scenario Planning: The Best Case Scenario

First, let me say that what you consider the best case scenario and what I consider the best case scenario may be totally different things. However, this is my answer to the assumptions that I posted some time ago. Here are my conclusions and the assumptions they are based upon:

We must meet patrons where they are instead of trying to force them into a place we want them to be.
1. Patron preference for digital over print will continue to increase
5. Patrons are going to be increasingly less willing to come to the library for materials
6. Patrons are going to be increasingly less willing to wait or pay for ILL
7. Patrons are going to be increasingly less willing to learn separate database interfaces
8. As more information becomes available, the idea of “good enough” information will completely overtake the search for “the best” or “all available” information

Budget limitations (always present even if budgets are not flat or decreasing) will force us to abandon traditional programs and to increase reliance on paraprofessionals in order to meet patron demands.
2. More materials will be freely available online although considerable content will still be within paid access “walled gardens”
3. Prices for print and paid-access “walled gardens” will continue to increase at a rate faster than inflation
4. Budgets will increase at a rate less than that of inflation causing ongoing shortfalls each year

I welcome comments and thank those of you who have already commented on the process.

No comments: