I'm 32, I'm a librarian, and I only have a second.

23.2.06

Podcasting, the Diffusion of Innovation, and the Miracle of the Global Web

I've had my little red MP3 player for some time now, and I can honestly say it has served its purpose well. Audio recording and playback is clean, crisp, and easy, which is the real reason I bought it. And, as I thought when I purchased, the built-in FM receiver really is about all I need as far as music goes. I've also listened to an audiobook, and I even used the device as a portable hard drive one day when I was in a pinch. I can definitely say I've gotten $59 of value out of owning it.

Of course, the obvious thing to do with an MP3 player is to listen to podcasts, and I have yet to do so. My main excuse has been that the learning curve is too steep for the eventual gain. I haven't felt that the time expended to get it working would be worth the value of the content available. There's definitely a lesson here about the balance between innovation adoption and percieved benefit. There has to be a benefit somewhere for most users to make the effort, and I am no different. I may adopt a little earlier than many people, but I'm not one of those folks who gets a new toy just because it's new and it's fun to be first. I'm most definitely second wave.

I have now reached the tipping point with podcasting; I'm in need of more mobile content, and there seems to be some decent stuff out there. So, the hurdle then becomes finding a easy way to work with a non-iPod player. A quick look at the Wikipedia and I found PodCatcher on a Stick, a stunningly neat little piece of software out of Bauhaus-University Weimar in Germany. Germany!

This little miracle completely installs on the MP3 player itself, so I can update my feeds at work or at home. I just plug my player in, open the directory, and start. There's even some configuration I can do to get it to work on its own but I don't think I need to go that far. It just boggles my mind that someone in Germany has so neatly and cleanly solved my little problem; that I can find and access the solution; and that it's free!

I picked out some feeds (from Odeo, home of the 43Folders podcasts), added them to my PCOAS, and poof! Mobile audio! Of course, my paltry 256 MB of space filled up fast, but it should be enough to get me through a few strolls around the block.

OK, and I have to admit--I don't adopt just for the sake of adoption, but I do get a buzz off of this kind of thing. I'll let you know how it works on an ongoing basis.

No comments: